ANGLICAN PARISHES IN 19TH CENTURY TRINIDAD

 

Website: http://www.theanglicanchurchtt.com/

 

Remember to check the above website, as the priests and telephone numbers will change periodically.

 

It is necessary to know the the Anglican parishes as they were in the 19th Century, but it should be noted that some have

disappeared and are now included within‘ new’ parishes:

 

* Bef 1801 Holy Trinity

The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity (1823)

Website: http://motherchurchtt.com

 

The first baptismal entry for Trinity Church in

Port-of-Spain was in June 1801.

 

Dean & Rector: Very Reverend Fr. Colin Sampson

The Deanery, 30A Abercrombie Street,

Port-of-Spain

Tel.: (868) - 623 - 7271 (O)

Tel.: (868) - 623 - 6858 (H)

Fax: (868) - 624 - 9827

Email: <motherchurch@gmail.com>

- Port-of-Spain, Laventille, Maraval, St. Ann,

Tragarete

 

 

Trinity Sunday, 1823: the new Holy Trinity

Cathedral was opened.

 

 

 

 

Office: Open - 9.30 (Mon to Fri)

 

Office Secretary: Mrs. Natasha Hunte

Verger: Mr. Valmon Gittens

 

Assistant Priest: The Rev'd Marva Kellman,

Henry Rd., El Dorado

Tel.: (868) - 623 - 7271; 625 - 2311

 

 

 

 

The Revd. Fr. Christopher Drakes

Tel.: (868) - 623 - 7271

 

1840 St. Paul

The Rev'd Canon Francis Caesar,

St. Paul's Rectory, 12 Harris Promenade,

San Fernando

Tel.: (868) - 652 - 4813 (H);

(868) - 652 - 2182 (O)

Email: <office.stpaulparish@gmail.com>

 

- North Naparima & San Fernando

 

In 1840 Mr. Gilbert was ordained and appointed

Rector in San Fernando. Before this, Anglicans

received communion in private homes.

 

1841 St. Andrew, Couva

The Rev'd Fr. Carlyle Lynch,

Tel.: (868) - 679 - 2157; 780 - 1010 (M)

Fax: (868) - 679 - 3285

Email: <parish.of.st.andrew.couva@gmail.com>

 

1844 St. Philip, Phoenix Park

See Above

 

- Couva, Barrancou, Carapichaima, Cascajal

 

 

 

 

 

- Savonetta (Now called Pointe a Pierre)

Now within Parish of St. Andrew

 

ca 1844 St. Luke

The Revd. Fr. Ashley Mungal,

St. Clement's Rectory, Manahambre Road,

Ste. Madeleine

Tel.: (868) - 652 - 1642 (H/O/Fax)

Email: <fr.ashleymungal@gmail.com>

 

ca 1844 St. Matthew, Oropouche

The Ordinary,

St. Augustine Rectory, New Lands, La Brea

Tel.: (868) - 648 - 7478

Fax: (868) - 648-7657

Email: <staugustineparish@tstt.net.tt>

 

- South Naparima

Now within Parish of St. Clement,

Naparima

 

 

 

 

- Cedros, Erin, Icacos, Irois

Now within Parish of St Augustine,

La Brea

 

1845 St, Michael & All Angels

The Rev'd Fr. John Rohim; The Rev'd Alvin Best,

St, Michael's Rectory,

La Croix Ave, Diego Martin

Tel.: 637-5183 (O)

Tel.: 637-9332 (H)

Email: <saintmike@tstt.net.tt>

 

1846 St. Mary

Website: http://www.stmarystacarigua.org

Rector: The Rev'd Fr. Jemmott Hazlewood,

Eastern Main Road, Tacarigua

Tel.: (868) - 640 - 4429 (O)

Fax: (868) - 645 - 9547

Email: <stmarystacarigua@gmail.com>

 

The Rev'd Fr. Anderson Maxwell,

62 Paradise Drive, Paradise Gardens, Tacarigua

Tel.: (868) - 640 - 0805

Tel.: (868) - 663 - 1478

 

- Chaguaramas, Diego Martin, Mucurapo

& Islands in the Bocas

 

 

 

 

 

 

- Arouca & Tacarigua

 

The foundation stone was laid in 1842

 

ca 1846 St. Peter

The Rr. Rev'd Bishop Rawle Douglin,

113 Immortelle Avenue, Pointe a Pierre

Tel.: (868) - 678 - 8673

 

ca 1847 St. Stephen

Website: http://www.ststephensparishtt.com

The Venerable Edwin Primus,

St. Stephen's Rectory, High Street, Princes Town

Tel.: (868) - 655 - 2480 (H/O/Fax)

Email: <ststephensparish@hotmail.com>

 

- Pointe a Pierre

 

 

 

 

- Savanna Grande (Now called Princes Town)

 

ca 1847 St. John

Petit Bourg, Eastern Main Road, San Juan

The Revd. Marsha Joseph,

The Revd. Beverley Hoyte,

Holy Saviour Rectory, Cor. Francis &

Sellier Street, Curepe

Tel.: (868) - 662 - 5178 (H/O/Fax)

Email: <holysaviourparish@hotmail.com>

 

- Aricagua, Cimaronero, Santa Cruz, St. Joseph

& the parts of Caroni west of the junction of the

Tacarigua and Caura rivers.

Now within Parish of Holy Saviour

 

ca 1848 St. Jude

The Rev'd Fr. Jeff Elder,

St.Jude's Rectory, King Street, Arima

Tel.: (868) - 667 - 3656 (O / Fax)

Email: <stjudeanglican@mail.tt>

 

1848 St. Thomas

The Rev'd Fr. Richard Jacob,

St. Thomas' Rectory, St. Thomas Village,

Chaguanas

Tel.: (868) - 640 - 0939/7772; 665 - 5142 (O)

Email: <parishofstthomas@gmail.com>

 

- Arima, Guanapo with the settlements of Cuare,

Turure, La Seiva & the parts of Caroni east of the

junction of the Tacarigua and Caura rivers

 

 

 

- Chaguanas

 

1843: St. Thomas cornerstone laid.

 

ca 1848 St. Bartholomew, Mayaro

c/o St. Faith Church, Rio Claro

The Ordinary, The Rev'd. Fr. Selwyn Nurse,

Tel.: (868) - 679 - 2418

Tel.: (868) - 652 - 8956 (H)

 

St. Mark

The Rev'd Canon Winston Mulcare,

8 Techier Road, Point Fortin

Tel.: (868) - 648 - 2212

 

* 1860 Christ Church, Cedros

Served from St. Mark

 

- Mayaro, Nariva, Toco & the settlement of

Manzanilla

Now within Parish of St. Faith, Rio Claro

 

 

 

- Moruga & Guayaguayare

 

Return to the top of the page

 

Note the parishes of

1) St. Matthew, Oropouche; 2) St. Peter, Pointe a Pierre; 3) St. John, San Juan;

4) St. Jude, Arima; 5) St. Bartholomew, Mayaro; 6) St. Mark, Point Fortin;

7) Christ Church, Cedros

had few Anglicans.

 

Old Churches - forming part Holy Trinity Parish in 19th Century

 

* 1846 Tragarete Church or Chapel of Ease

A Chapel of Ease for Trinity Church, the foundation stone was laid in 1844 and the consecration was in 1848. It was

later to be called All Saints' Church, and became independent in 1868. Being in Trinity parish, it was served by ministers

from Holy Trinity Church.

 

All Saints' Church, Marli Street, 13 Queen's Park West, Port of Spain

The Rt. Rev'd Claude Berkley, Coadjutor Bishop

Tel.: (868) - 627 - 7004 (O)

Website: www.allsaintschurchtt.org

Email: <allsaints@tstt.net.tt>

 

* 1858 St. Matthias, Laventille

The Rev'd Fr. George Archer,

Cor. Pashley Street & Eastern Main Road, Laventille

Tel.: (868) - 626 - 3805

 

* 1860 St. Margaret of Antioch

The Ordinary,

St. Margaret’s Rectory, Belmont

Church Office: 93 Belmont Circular Road, Belmont, Port of Spain

Tel.: (868) - 624 - 1856 (O); (868) - 625 - 8857

Tel.: ((868) - 621- 0503 (H)

Email: <stmargarets47@yahoo.com>

Website:

 

The early inhabitants of Belmont, mainly of African and British descent, arrived in 1812 shortly after the abolition of the

slave trade in 1807 and after Trinidad had passed from Spanish to British rule.

 

Between 1852 and 1866, there was only one church at which Anglicans living near to Port-of-Spain could worship, this

being Holy Trinity Church, later Holy Trinity Cathedral.

 

The Anglicans who lived in Belmont therefore attended Holy Trinity Church. In 1850, the Rector of the Holy Trinity

started a mission at Belmont. He rented a two-roomed house from where he conducted services.

 

Consecration of St. Margaret’s Church, Belmont:

Read, 'Port-of-Spain Gazette, Friday December 4, 1891, page 6'.

 

See:

Anglican Diocese of Trinidad & Tobago: A Historical Note

 

Return to the top of the page